Academics » College Courses

College Courses

College or university courses, including online college or university courses, may be taken for high school credit if prior permission is received from the principal or designee to assure that provisions of this procedure have been followed. Arrangement to apply this credit toward high school graduation must be made prior to the first meeting of the course, and the following stipulations apply:
  1. A maximum of 40 credits (or up to 10 classes) may count toward high school graduation credit on the student’s transcript. 
  2. In order for concurrent courses to transfer back to the high school transcript, courses must be Intersegmental General Education Transfer Courses (IGETC) approved for transfer to the University of California or California State University systems or be district-approved Career Technical Education pathway courses.
  3. Poway Unified requires students to have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher; ideally a minimum of 2.5
  4. To receive district credit for coursework completed at a community college or four-year college, the student or parent/guardian shall submit a transcript showing completion of the course with a passing grade. Unless enrolled in a special alternative program (such as Early or Middle College), students may apply a maximum of forty (40) high school credits for courses taken outside the district
  5. Please note that students are not required to transfer credits back to their high school transcript. 
  6. Parents and students take full responsibility to verify the course(s) meet 4-year college admissions requirements and NCAA, NAIA athletic eligibility requirements.
College Units Equivalent High School
2 semester units (3 qtr. units) 2.5 credits
3 semester units (4.5 qtr. units) 5 credits
4 semester units (6 qtr. units) 7.5 credits
5 semester units (7.5 qtr. units) 10 credits

College Courses Process

Students 16 or older may petition to take classes at colleges by completing the K-12 Special Admission Approval Form and other application requirements. The form can be found below for our local community colleges. The appropriate form (depending on where you are going) must be submitted to the school for signature and approval.

Please note that students are not required to transfer credits back to their high school transcript. If you choose to request this option, you are limited to transferring the equivalent of 20 high school credits (generally 2 college classes), can only do so for classes taken after the conclusion of your sophomore year, and not all classes can be transferred back.

Please send all completed forms to Ester Berry, Administrative Specialist, at [email protected]. Mrs. Berry will collect the forms and review them with the school’s administration each week. Please include the following in your email to Mrs. Berry:

  • Full name
  • Student ID number
  • Grade
  • Name of courses you wish to take
  • State whether or not you want the course to transfer back to your Westview transcript. There are limitations to transferring credit and this will be considered when reviewing your request.

Palomar College Courses

The form can be found on the K-12 Admissions section of their website
Palomar Contacts for questions about the above: 
Admissions Hours: Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am - 6:00 pm | Friday 7:30 am-2:00 pm​
Phone: 760-744-1150, ext 2164
Email:  [email protected]

The San Diego Community College District (Miramar, Mesa, City)

The San Diego Community College District also allows high school students to take courses. They have an online course request process that you can find here.